Charged with OWI?
Have a Former Prosecutor Take Your Case - (414) 882-8382
In Wisconsin, it is illegal to operate a motor vehicle if you are under
the influence of alcohol or any detectable amount of controlled substance.
Unless there was a minor passenger in the vehicle under 16 years of age
at the time of the violation, the first offense OWI in Wisconsin is considered
a "civil forfeiture offense." It is not a criminal violation.
If you are convicted though you will lose your license, pay steep fines,
have to take an Alcohol or Other Assessment (AODA), and perhaps install
an ignition interlock device in your vehicle.
Why Choose Our OWI Attorney?
- 20+ years’ proven legal experience
- Former prosecutor fighting for you
- 1,000s of criminal cases handled successfully
- Free consultation available by phone 24/7
Even a first offense OWI charge is not something to be taken lightly. Make
sure that you protect your future by calling a Milwaukee OWI defense lawyer
at the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella. Our attorney is a former
prosecutor who understands how cases are handled from the state's
Wisconsin OWI Laws
According to Wisconsin OWI laws, a person with a BAC of .08% or higher
is deemed to be too impaired to operate a motor vehicle. The limits are
even lower for someone facing a fourth offense or greater OWI charge.
Any driver in Milwaukee or throughout the state of Wisconsin with a BAC
at or above the legal limit could be arrested and charged with OWI. These
limits are established by statutory laws and are strongly prosecuted in
all Wisconsin counties. It is very rare for these types of charges to
be amended by a prosecutor. If charged with an OWI offense, you do have
certain defenses. These defenses must be explored with you by an experienced
It is considered a criminal violation for a first offense OWI conviction
in Wisconsin with a minor passenger under 16 years of age in the vehicle.
Also, all second and subsequent OWI offenses in Wisconsin are criminal
in nature. This means that in any criminal OWI prosecution there is a
mandatory minimum jail sentence that must be served upon conviction. There
are other mandatory minimum penalties (fines, license revocation, IID
etc.) also associated with the conviction depending on the circumstances.
Milwaukee OWI Attorney Working Aggressively to Defend You
Despite what people may believe, many OWI cases can be won, even if the
government's evidence seems strong. Attorney Christopher J. Cherella
takes a comprehensive approach to every case, challenging the prosecutor
to prove every element of the case.
Any one of these or other factors could lead to dismissal of your OWI charge
or reduction to a lesser, non-OWI traffic offense:
- Did the police have reasonable suspicion to stop you?
- Did the police have reasonable suspicion to believe that you were intoxicated?
- Did the police have probable cause to arrest you?
- Is the police report and subsequent officer testimony consistent with video
and other evidence?
- Were you properly advised of your rights before submitting to a breath
or blood test?
- Were you observed continuously for 20 minutes prior to submitting to the
breath or blood test?
- Did you voluntarily submit to the breath or blood test?
- Did the breathalyzer machine return accurate blood alcohol results?
- Can the blood or breathalyzer results be suppressed?
- Was there an unlawful forced blood draw?
- Are there physical or biological factors that could have produced abnormally
high blood alcohol results?
At the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella, we understand the importance
of your driver's license. We also understand how the freedom to drive
affects your everyday life. When you retain us to represent you, we will
defend you with skill, passion, and conviction. Our priority is to keep
you out of jail and to minimize the impact of your charges on your future.
Explore Your OWI Defense Options - Call (414) 882-8382
Learn more about your rights and what you can do to defend yourself and
protect your license. Our attorney is available 24/7 to help and will
even give you his private cell phone number so you can reach him at all
hours. This is the kind of
personalized, hands-on attention you can expect at our firm.