Skip to Content

What to Do if a Bench Warrant Is Issued for Your Arrest


A bench warrant can be issued if a person fails to perform a court-ordered action such as a missed court date, probation violation, incomplete community service, or unpaid child support. These warrants are so named as they are issued from “the judge’s bench” and may provide law enforcement with the authority to make an immediate arrest. For example, if you are hit by a drunk driver and the police find that there is an outstanding bench warrant on file, you may be taken into custody. After discovering that a warrant has been issued against you, it’s important to take action and consider contacting an attorney.

How Can an Attorney Help with a Bench Warrant?

Once a warrant has been issued, you must use the proper legal channels in order to have it removed. Taking a proactive approach and contacting an attorney to help you resolve the issue can keep a sudden arrest from interrupting your life. An attorney can work to set a future court date and get the warrant recalled. Unless the warrant was issued in relation to a felony offense, your presence in court may not be required with your attorney appearing on your behalf. While you may be able to resolve the matter on your own, a judge reserves the right to place you into custody where you may or may not have the option to post bail.

If the issue is one which cannot be resolved in a single courtroom visit, such as with the payment of a fine, your attorney can also advise you on your legal options moving forward. Every case will be different and if you have a question about your specific situation, do not hesitate to contact an attorney from the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella.

Aggressive Legal Representation

While police may not be actively pursuing an arrest, an open bench warrant is a serious matter that deserves your immediate attention. When you need straightforward and effective legal advice, our lead Milwaukee criminal defense attorney is here to help. Attorney Cherella possesses more than two decades of legal experience and can help you resolve your legal matter so that you can get back to your life. We provide clients with a free case evaluation so that they may better discover their legal options.

Call (414) 882-8382 today and discover how our legal team may be able to help you.

Share To: