Milwaukee Criminal Defense Attorney
Offering 24/7 Legal Advice, Guidance, & Support 414.882.8382

How Long Do I Have to Register as a Wisconsin Sex Offender?

Unlike other types of criminal offenses, sex crimes such as sexual assault, rape, and any offenses involving a minor child in Wisconsin often require individuals to register with the state’s sex offender registry. The information in the registry is made available to law enforcement agencies, victims, and the general public through the Wisconsin Sex Offender Registry website.

So how long does a convicted sex offender have to register in the state? The answer depends on the underlying crime.

After being discharged from probation, supervision, or parole, many sex crimes require individuals to continue registering for 15 years. However, for most serious offenses, individuals must register for the remainder of their lives.

The following convictions require lifetime registration as a sex offender in Wisconsin:

  • First- or second-degree sexual assault where the victim is either an adult or a child
  • Two or more convictions of the same sex crime
  • Repeated offenses involving children
  • Violent acts under Chapter 980
  • Acts with a child in substitute care

Not only does a sex crime result in extensive prison sentences and other serious penalties, but having to register as a sex offender can permanently ruin your personal and professional reputation. According to state study conducted by the U.S. Department of Justice, many registered sex offenders in Wisconsin reported losing jobs and employment opportunities, getting constantly denied when looking for a place to live, and experiencing damage in their personal relationships.

So if you have been arrested for or charged with a sex crime in Wisconsin, our Milwaukee criminal defense attorney at the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella is committed to helping you avoid the harsh penalties of such an offense. We can review your case and explore all of the available options for your defense to help you get your case dismissed or your charges reduced.

Contact us and schedule a free consultation for more information today.