Skip to Content

Wisconsin's Firework Laws


Summer is here and the Fourth of July is almost upon us. While this is an exciting time and a moment to celebrate, it is important to be mindful of the state’s laws regarding firework usage and to know what to do if you end up in legal trouble for using fireworks that are not permissible.

Which Fireworks Am I Allowed to Use?

Not all fireworks are going to get you into trouble with the law. The following are legal for sale, possession, and use without a permit:

  • Sparklers that are less than 36 inches in length
  • Noisemakers
  • Novelty devices that spin or move on the ground
  • Toy snakes
  • Stationary fountains or cones
  • Smoke bombs
  • Caps
  • Confetti poppers that have less than a ¼ grain of explosive mixture

Items that are illegal without a permit include:

  • Roman candles
  • Mortars
  • Bottle rockets
  • Firecrackers
  • Devices that leave the ground or explode

The Consequences

Violations of firework law can come with some steep penalties. For each firework violation, you could potentially face a $1,000 fine. If you do wish to dabble in the fireworks that require permits, you must obtain it through the city, village, or town where you would like to set off the fireworks. Even if you have a permit, however, you must not allow a minor to use or possess them since this will also lead to a fine of up to $1,000 per violation.

Milwaukee Criminal Defense Lawyer

Encounters with law enforcement are stressful, which is why you need an aggressive legal advocate on your side to protect your rights. At the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella, our criminal defense lawyer in Milwaukee will put more than two decades of proven legal experience to work for you and ensure you receive the best representation possible. 

Begin today and call us at (414) 882-8382 to schedule a case review.

Share To: