Skip to Content

How Can I Keep My License After an OWI Arrest?


If you are arrested for operating while intoxicated (OWI), police offers will issue a Notice of Intent stating that your license privileges will be suspended in 30 days. You can, however, fight this suspension. Read the next 3 steps you should take.

Step #1: Request an Administrative Review Hearing

You must request an Administrative Review hearing within 10 days of receiving your Notice of Intent. The DMV will contact you within 30 days of your request to schedule your hearing. During this hearing, you will have the opportunity to fight your suspension and possibly preserve your driving privileges.

Step #2: Contact a License Suspension Attorney

Once scheduled, you should immediately contact an experienced license suspension lawyer. They can help you collect the proper evidence and create a defensive strategy for your hearing. Their legal knowledge may be the difference between preserving your driving privileges and losing them.

Step #3: Present Your Case During the Hearing & Receive the Outcome

During the hearing, you will have the opportunity to present evidence to a DMV employee and argue the license suspension. If the employee believes that the traffic stop was illegal, or that the evidence is enough to support your case, they will either reinstate your license or issue you a temporary license until the court has reached an outcome on your OWI charges.

If the employee believes the stop was legal and the license suspension was fair, they will deny your request. If this happens, you may still have the opportunity to regain some of your driving privileges. Talk to your attorney about challenging the Administrative Review hearing and/or applying for an occupational permit.

Contact the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella: (414) 882-8382.

A license suspension can greatly disrupt your work and home life. If you received a Notice of Intent, contact Milwaukee OWI Defense Attorney Christopher J. Cherella. He has more than 20 years of experience defending clients and maintains a light caseload in order to provide you with the focused and attentive legal counsel you deserve.

If you need assistance requesting or preparing for your Administrative Review hearing, contact Milwaukee Lawyer Christopher J. Cherella: (414) 882-8382. He is available 24/7.

Share To: