Skip to Content

Can Felons Vote in Wisconsin?


As U.S. citizens (who are at least 18 years old), voting is one of the most important rights and responsibilities we have, giving us the opportunity to elect government officials who represent our beliefs and making a contribution to our society. Now that the midterm elections are over, the next presidential election is only two years away.

If you have been convicted of a felony, you may be wondering if you are allowed to vote. Although many believe that felons lose their right to vote upon conviction, this claim is considered a myth. In all but two states, ex-felons are able to get their voting rights back.

In Wisconsin, voting rights are automatically restored once you complete your sentence, including extended supervision or probation. Furthermore, you can vote if you received a pardon.

If you are currently incarcerated, under supervision, or on probation, then you are not allowed to vote. If you have been convicted of a misdemeanor, you can still vote.

Once you complete your sentence, you must re-register to vote. Although you do not need a show a special document, you must prove that you are resident of Wisconsin (which is the location where you lived prior to incarceration) and that you are not under DOC supervision no longer. After each election date, the Government Accountability Board (GAB) compares lists of those who voted with lists of felons under supervision.

If you wish to vote by absentee ballot, you copy of an acceptable photo ID must be submitted with the request for registration prior to turning it into the electoral municipal clerk. You can ask for an absentee ballot by mail, e-mail, or fax.

If you have been arrested for a felony offense in Wisconsin, our Milwaukee criminal defense attorney at the Law Offices of Christopher J. Cherella is committed to protecting your rights—including your right to vote—and your future. We understand the importance of your freedoms and will do anything in our power to build a strong defense to help get your case dismissed or your penalties reduced.

For more information about your voting rights, contact us today.

Share To: