Don’t Fake It ‘Till You Make It.
Fake IDs are a common item that minors illegally obtain to enjoy the freedoms of legal adults. By “freedoms,” we’re referring to purchasing alcohol, although the list of 18+ freedoms in the US includes, but isn't limited to:
- Purchasing a firearm
- Buying a lottery ticket
- Joining the military
- Signing contracts and documents without a parent or guardian
Whether kids use their friends’ or relatives’ old ID, order a fake ID online or attempt to alter their own ID to display an incorrect age, fake IDs of any kind are illegal. Although they’re popular among minors, they run a high risk of incriminating those who want to experience alcohol and other 18+ freedoms like adults.
WI Falsification of Proof of Age Laws
Wisconsin’s laws governing the falsification of proof of age read:
- No person may make, alter or duplicate an official identification card, provide an official identification card to an underage person or knowingly provide other documentation to an underage person purporting to show that the underage person has attained the legal drinking age.
- No person may possess an official identification card or other documentation used for proof of age with the intent of providing it to an underage person.
If convicted, you may be fined $300 to $1,250 and/or imprisoned for 10 to 30 days. If a judge finds that you violated the law for money or “other consideration,” you may suffer a Class I felony charge punishable by up to a $10,000 fine and/or imprisonment for up to 3 ½ years.
Any minor who commits the following actions is guilty of a violation:
- Intentionally carries an official identification card not legally issued to him or her, an official identification card obtained under false pretenses or an official identification card which has been altered or duplicated to convey false information.
- Makes, alters or duplicates an official identification card purporting to show that he or she has attained the legal drinking age.
- Presents false information to an issuing officer in applying for an official identification card.
- Intentionally carries an official identification card or other documentation showing that the person has attained the legal drinking age, with knowledge that the official identification card or documentation is false.
Arrested? Minors have far too much to lose when facing criminal charges. Their whole lives are ahead of them: School, jobs, traveling, starting a family and more. A criminal charge for using a fake ID could eliminate countless opportunities for minors. Thus, there is no better time to contact our criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible so we can begin fighting for reduced or dismissed penalties on your child’s behalf!